Thursday, December 15, 2011

Can bank of America legally re-open a closed account because i forgot to cancel my direct deposit?

I had a check/saving, and a overdraft account.





on 2/23 i went down to the branch, closed the check/savings, and they told me i had to call a # to close the credit overdraft protection account. I called that number, and closed that.





a week later when i forgot to cancel my direct depsoit, the bank reopened the checking account, and the credit overdraft account. 2 autobills were paid, this drew my account negetive, and incured the overdraft protection...leaving me a money owed balance on my account.





I just went down to the bank, they gave me a doc that says under closed account "if you are we close your account, we may either return deposits, check or other items that we receive after your account is closed or we may reopen the account and accept the deposit or debit for you, even if doing so overdraws your account, without being liable to you. you agree to pay immediately all amounts you owe us"





CAN THEY LEGALLY DO THIS? DO I HAVE A CASE? PLEASE ONLY ANSWER IF YOU HAVE REFS!|||It's not the bank's fault you forgot to cancel the direct deposot. When the deposit got made, they had to do something with the money, and as per their document, they opted to reopen the account. I suspect that that document was part of the paperwork that you signed when you opened the account. When you opened the account, you also accepted their terms and conditions of how they would handle the acount. Just because you forgot all this doesn't relieve you of the responsibility of your actions (or inaction) causing the account to be reopened.





If you really think you have a case (and as you probably have gathered from my above comments, I don't think you do), you could try taking them to small claims court, or talk to your state's Attorney General office.





From your description of the events, it sounds like you're the one at fault here, especially if the payments that caused the overdrafts were bills you had to pay anyway. Cancelling the autobills is also your reponsibility. Having them bounce because the account was closed probably would have caused you other fees and charges.





Learn to handle your money more responsibly, and learn from this to know what the terms and conditions of a bank account are before you accept it. The more freebies and "conveniences" it comes with, the harder it is to get out of. The banks know this: that's why they offer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment