Monday, December 12, 2011

Deposit back from car dealership that shut down?

I left a deposit at a Saturn deal to show my commitment to buy a car, They never ordered a car but whenever they got a Saturn Vue Hybrid in they would give me a call. But they never had one I wanted. They closed 3 months later and I still do not have my car. How can I get my deposit back? Do I need to go to court? I tried to call GM but they were not forthcoming.|||You didn't leave a deposit with Saturn, you left it with the dealership, so don't be upset if Saturn tells you there is nothing they can do for your situation. You'll have to seek the owners of the dealership that closed down and try to sue them for the money. Good luck and I hope you have a clearly signed deposit slip stating the all the figures if you choose to take them to small claims.|||You should try to call Saturn directly. GM is the parent company %26amp; is most likely a waste of time trying to talk w/ them. I do believe Saturn's corp office is in TN somewhere. But I could be wrong. When all is said %26amp; done, a claim in small courts may be necessary. |||If the dealership closed down, they probably filed for bankruptcy, which means you will probably not get your money back. I would do some research on who the owner of the dealership is and I would take him to small claims court. I worked for a dealership a few years ago that closed down on the day payroll checks were to be passed out. I tried for about a month to get my paycheck then they filed bankruptcy and I got nothing, they wrote off payroll as a bad debt. So if I were you I'd move quickly to try and get your money back.|||I hope the deposit wasn't a lot. It's unlikely you'll see the money. You would have to take the corporation (the dealer, not saturn or GM) to court. |||This is a very difficult situation to be in. The dealer is the responsible party. He is the franchised owner. Saturn, unfortunately, has nothing to do with your deposit.





If you track down the owner to an address that you have him served at, you could file a claim in Small Claims Court. But getting a current address on him may prove to be almost impossible.





You should contact your city attorney and your local BBB. They may be able to help you or offer advice on who can. You should also try the DMV since they had to license the owner to sell cars. Also, go online to see if anyone's posted a website or a blog regarding this dealer shutting its doors. One way or another, you'll catch up to him. But if he's filed for bankruptcy, good luck. You'll be one of the last creditors the court will order him to pay. And if there's any money left, don't expect more than 20 cents on the dollar.





It sucks. You should be able to reclaim your entire deposit. Not just a small portion of it. But unfortunately, it's highly unlikely you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment