Monday, December 12, 2011

How can I get my security deposit back?

I will be completely moved out of my apartment by the end of this month. My landlord told me and my husband that she would be mailing us our deposit to our new address, but it's been a week and nothing. I have tried to call her but she won't return my calls. The apartment is completely cleaned. What do I do?|||Give it more time. I know in my state, by law, we have to return a deposit (or letter ) within 30 days.|||I know it's only been a week and nothing.If you don't hear from her within the next week or so ,then go back to the leasing office if you can and speak to someone in person and have them get in contact with her about your deposit and when should you be expecting it .Be Patient It's coming.|||most places I've lived they have 30 days to mail it.|||They have 30 days to return your deposit or a letter itemizing why you're not getting some or all of your deposit back.|||You can't do anything, yet. Sit tight, chill out and stop calling and pestering the landlord!





You still have possession of the property, the landlord would be insane to return your deposit at this point.





By law, the landlord (generally, but it varies by state) has 30 days AFTER you vacate to return the deposit and/or accounting. Make sure you give the landlord your forwarding address in writing.|||In any state that I am aware of your landlord has 30 days to return your deposit and if she keeps any part of it, must send you a detailed list of charges along with your check. Hopefully she just hasn't had time to return your calls. You also need to hope that what you consider completely clean is up to her standards. If not she can charge you for cleaning. There should have been a walk through when you left.

No comments:

Post a Comment