Thursday, December 8, 2011

Can I call the police on someone who robbed me of my deposit?

So I paid several hundred dollars to a homeowner as a deposit for a room I was going to rent.





However, due to unforeseen circumstances, I was forced to cancel my plans. I did not sign the contract with him.





As a result, I asked the landowner if I could get my deposit back. He stated that he wished to take away some sum of money because of time spent showing me the room and gas money. I refused and asked him to refund me the entire deposit.





He has not responded for 4 days and my attempts to call him result in voicemail. I am very upset and wondering if I can call my local police department so that I can get my deposit back.





I have the bank statements and emails detailing the information|||A crime has not been committed so No.|||You can at least discuss the situation with the police. They may have a better course of action to take than having the landlord charged.





The landlord may have some legitimate cause to keep some of the deposit because he expected you to rent the room and therefore was not looking for someone else to rent to. It will cost him to find a new tenant. How much is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment